Sunday, April 3, 2016

Tasting - Carraia Aglianico

Name: Carraia
Variety: Aglianico
Country: Italy

Region: Campagna
Year: 2013

Price: $9.95 (regular $15)

Wine Critic Review:
Produced in the Campania region of Italy, this Aglianico has delicious black fruit flavors with hints of licorice, volcanic soil and tar notes. Classic in nature, yet in a lighter, more crowd-pleasing style, the Carraia is made of the ancient Aglianico grape. This black grape originated in Greece and today is widely grown in Basilicata and Campania.

My Review:
This wine had a very strong nose. I really smelled the spicy smell of licorice, and the dark fruit scent. I was really surprised though by the taste. It was much lighter than many of the red wines I've tasted. It had a slightly spicy finish because of the licorice taste, but it also had a lighter, fruity taste of berries. However it was slightly bitter. I was happily surprised by this one, it was much more pleasant than a lot of the dark fruit reds I've tasted. 
I tasted this alone without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment