Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tasting - Indwe Pinotage

Name: Indwe 
Variety: Pinotage
Region: Western Cape Coastal Region
Country: South Africa
Year: 2013
Price: $5.95 (regular $12)

Wine Critic Review - Robert Parker (Drink now 2016): 
A disclaimer: I have never cared much for Pinotage, the indigenous South African grape variety, but this 2013 Pinotage from Indwe, named after the country's national bird, the blue crane, comes across like a light Pinot Noir. Subtle notes of cherries, spice and forest floor are followed by a round, light to medium-bodied, pure, seductive, well-crafted wine.

My Review:
This wine had a sort of sour smell. I think it was the cherry hints in the aroma. When I tasted it I definitely got the cherry taste, but it also tasted pretty bitter to me. It was a really dry wine, part of the reason I am not usually a fan of red wines. I thought this wine had a really warm finish. I also got a hint of sort of a coffee like taste, which didn't help with the bitterness. 
I had this wine without food.


No comments:

Post a Comment